Trend Report: Lace Underwear for Men?

It’s estimated that 10% of men who buy women’s underwear buy it for themselves. Who knew? This could be because some men just really like women’s underwear (Rocky Horror, anyone?) or maybe that 10% is on to something.

Remember a few years back when guys started wearing women’s jeans because the lower rise fit better? This then gender bending trend only lasted a year or so before the men’s brands started making their own low-rise versions. The latest men’s fashion trend to take a cue from the other side of the gender divide very well could be lace underwear made especially for men. Though the trend is far from mainstream, it’s definitely worth discussing. It’s out there and very well could be coming to a man near you!

Though considered a behind-closed-doors taboo, a subculture of men have long gotten their kicks from the same lacy styles that drive their lady friends wild. Sheer, lightweight and undoubtedly sexy; what’s not to love about lace? Men cite every reason in the book for going with lace, from the barely there feeling to the breathability, the sheer texture, and even the fact that it’s just plain sexy and they like exploring their fetishes. Now, brands like Joe Snyder, BodyQ, Good Devil, XDress, Male Power, CandyMan and 3Wishes are catching on and tip-toeing into lace territory providing men a chance to learn what women have known for years: lace is awesome!

Just consider just how many of today’s popular men’s underwear styles started in women’s wear: high-cut briefs, bikinis, thongs and g-strings all started as predominantly for women and now they’re a huge section of the men’s underwear industry.

We’re not talking about women’s lace underwear marketed for men, either. Brands that sell the lacy bottoms all serve up lace with manly twist. Their lace wares range from the typical thong and bikini to more traditionally masculine silhouettes, such as briefs, trunks and boxer briefs. They’re often designed with a contour pouch for an anatomically correct fit and patterns run the gamut, too, from the conventional floral motifs often associated with your grandmother’s doilies to edgier designs like spider webs and skulls. Designs also range from all-lace to just a touch here and there, for men willing to wear lace but not go all the way.

Stay tuned for our favorite lace underwear picks to find a pair that works for you!

For more information about these brands: Joe Snyder, BodyQGood Devil, XDress, Male Power, CandyMan and 3Wishes

Photo Credit: CandyMan (Black Lace, Style 9602), Chad White by Ruven Afanador

sitebanner2w

0 thoughts on “Trend Report: Lace Underwear for Men?

1. Undie lover says:

Been buying womens boyshorts for a couple years. Have always liked the fabric, colors, low rise and fit. Glad to see more styles and options in mens underwear.

2. Steve says:

My girlfriend got me wearing her lace undies as a bedroom turnon for her.. now I’m hooked..think its a brilliant idea that mens brands are making them.. will definitely be a customer.

• Rupertbare says:

Steve dear man, have you started into stockings and suspenders yet?????? Lets face it admit that your a transvestite, and have done with it, you big sissy……

3. Tom says:

It is getting time that we as guys can wear lace panties or stockings. I wear leggings and nylons for the last 10 or so years and to my biggest surprise so does my two twin brother ,which I only found out last month

4. Hal says:

Depeding on nothing more than mood, I wear everything from regular guys boxer briefs to womens’ silk lace panties, and really, why not? BTW: the panties are much nicer!! So this is great.

5. truknights says:

for me its ab out sensuality…the feel good effect…slips are real nice they dont bunch up in the thigh groin areas…and my penis feels great in the lush nylon/statin/lace…so comfitable…im heterosexual…i can wear anything…dont you think…?

6. erik69 says:

I just started wearing panties and I really love everything VS has and most of all they have many specials. being a straight man in his 50s this was something new to me but it just felt right because it holds everything up better and there are so many colors and choices to pick from. Men should all just try it and you will be hooked.

7. smoothshaven says:

I have worn lace panties and tops for many years and they feel so sensual when you wear them. I have mostly black and white lace which suits me fine. I adore  fact they are see through which adds to the pleasure of wearing them. Thongs,g strings and shorts gives me a nice choice too. Wearing lace top stockings completes my outfit. It feels so erotic just writing these words!

8. Pam Kubik says:

Just bought 6 pairs of ladies underwear at K-Mart. When washing the first 3 pairs the elastic waist came unraveled. I have bought Joe Boxer before and never had this problem.

9. Marina says:

All rayon fibers like viscose, modal and micromodal, tend to the heavy pilling not only after washing or especially tumble drying, but after wearing – i. e. rubbing on other materials. The only viscose fiber that has no pilling effect is a registered Tencel – a high-end rayon jersey knit.

Rayon fibers, as well as bambus, are very odour resistant. Then goes cotton. I would never recommend to buy any underwear made of synthetic fibers, because these fabrics don’t breathe. Not matter what fancy name they have – you will stink in a couple of hours 😉

10. Sam T says:

I’m 40 and straight. I’ve been wearing womens underwear for years…. Forget taboo, I like silk thongs in summer as they’re way more comfortable and support is better. Bikini briefs are great too and French knickers are perfect in winter. Breathable, comfortable and light, plus there’s more choice.

11. Darrin says:

i am looking for underwear that are snug and fitted akin to compression but has a slippery feel akin to satin what do you recommend?

12. Terry says:

I prefer to hand wash, using an oxygen whitening washing powder on white underwear, warm, not hot water. Then spin dry and hang to final dry indoors. Good comfortable underwear is always worth the extra effort to keep it in good condition.

13. Bernard says:

I have been wearing lace panties for over 20 years. I started with satin briefs from Victoria’s Secret. 3-4 months later a lady gave me a bikini with lace and I was excited and my 2nd gift was a half panty with gorgeous lace band from Olga! I wore the bikini first and then the Olga panty. Wow. I wnt from 1 mirror to another and for the first time I felt feminine wearing panties! What a terrific feeling! I committed to go all the way in the future and wear only panties with lace.. Now all my purchases are 100% lace. Wacoal and Olga silky nylon always fit perfectly!

14. Jonah says:

I always hand wash my underwear. This keeps them in great shape. I buy them less often now and save a bunch. Just hang them up inside and they dry quickly.

15. gym says:

Some one [an entire industry] is missing something here! Filter out stigma and preconceived notions of what “should be”, and you might just be surprised what people actually LIKE. I am a guy. Me wearing panties is not going to make me go blind. However on a really hot day, a pair of “good fitting” light weight panties makes the difference between having a pleasant day or suffering from crotch rot from bunched up boxers. What would you choose?

16. Dan says:

I often do not wear underwear under my jeans as I get so hot… Any recommendations for something that is fitting and not hot? I want to wear something and feel as if I am not wearing anything. I also want support.

17. Amit Agrawal says:

Hey, I am Amit from India. I am looking for a very soft elastic on waist of my underwear as I feel very uncomfortable in broad elastic waistbands and also elastic that feels tight on the waist. Which ones are good and what material. please let me know the brands.

18. Edgar says:

Got a pair of Viscose(Terry) Briefs from Modus Vivendi , Love them . Is there any other company making Terry underwear, If so can someone let me know. Also don t like my underwear with the line going thur the crouch area Very uncomfortable Do anyone has that problem. Let me know

19. Waiaio says:

I have a suggestion for the information layout.

This is awesome information. Maybe a new table system could be developed where
    you can toggle between in-depth information (as already displayed) and a simplified
    grid layout.
    In the grid underwear material is shown in rows and in the columns are the
    qualities that the materials poses ie. breath-ability [7/10], fit [saggy], fades [tick],
    shrinks [tick].
    The layout shows boxes that indicate the qualities of the fabrics, thus highlighting
    ideal underwear material easily.

20. chriscan says:

Why should women have all the fun of wearing frilly things. I been wearing female undies since I was very young. Mom never found out as far as I know as well as my x wife. It’s nice to wear girly things in the comfort of my home.

21. viswanathan says:

HI i AM LOOKING FOR THICK FRONT BOXER UNDERWEAR WITH GOOD ABSORBANT MATERIAL FOR SLIGHT INCONTINANCE PROBLEM DUE TO SURGERY.

• Ashim says:

!00% Cotton Single-Jersey means that the fabric has is a Plain-Knitted (single-jersey meaning) fabric and 100% Cotton yarn has been used. The term 160-180 GSM means that 1 square metre of the fabric weighs in a range of 160-180 grams.

22. safwan says:

Currently im wearing lycra underwear.and im feeling rash and itch around my genital area.is this is due to lycra fabric?if yes then tell me which fabric should I use..

23. Pink Penny says:

I have been wearing panties since I was a very young child. My mother saw me wearing a pair of her panties around the house. She did not freak out and yell at me. What she did is sit me down and asked me why I was wearing her panties. I said that I liked the way they looked and felt. She explained to me that only girls wear panties not boys. As I was very young I told my mother that I wanted to wear her panties then threw a fit. She never said during are talk that I couldn’t wear panties. She told me to calm down and explained to me that I couldn’t wear her panties because they were to big on me and she didn’t want me to get them dirty or tear them.
    My mother as as I grew up I relized that she was very understanding and wise. During our little talk she said that I could wear panties but only my own.
    A week went by then one day she came home with as I recall seven pairs of panties. They were all nylon and very frilly and different colors. She handed me a pair and told me to try on the pair to see how they fit. From then on I wore my own panties and have been since I was very young.
    I was a only child and my mother was divorced and never married again. Many of my cousins I found out later on that many of my cousins we’re crossdressers. That’s why my mother let me wear my own panties because she felt that I would grow up to be a Crossdresser to. Eventually I started wearing nighties.
    I’m sixty years old and I dress as women everyday. Been married for over thirty years. My enfem name is Pink Penny and my wife has known about Pink Penny way before we married.
    I have met so many men that wear panties everyday and most of them dress up in other garments.
    Here is my point men that wear panties daily or dress up as a complete women. I would say that eighty percent of men keep from their wife’s friends and family that they wear panties or other things. They are so deep in the closet they will never come out. There will never be a movement by men who wear panties because they are afraid that their wife’s will leave them and so on. The gay movement had so many people fighting for their cause. This will never happen if you are a CD or what ever you like to wear. This is my opinion and many of you my not agree with me.
    PinkPenny

24. Dave says:

I tended to think that drying in direct sunlight was good because it whitens and keeps the fabric taut. Thanks for clarifying this.

25. rena says:

i always wash my husbands in warm wash and low tumble dry for about 10 minutes and then hang to finish drying but he always complains about them shrinking any ideas would be helpful. this is an ongoing issue and I have wasted a lot of money on underwear including big and tall which cost me 58 dollars fro 6 pairs which shrunk with the first washing.

26. Allen (South Carolina, US) says:

This info is very helpful. I’ve fallen in love with Bamboo briefs, they are so soft and comfortable. As the weather gets warmer I’ve noticed that when I sweat they really retain the moisture without allowing it to evaporate like cotton does. I’ll use the above info to try a different material for warmer weather. I’m definitely curious about Supima cotton and modal.

27. Ashim says:

Use underwear made with 100% Combed Cotton knitted-fabric. “Cotton-Rich” or just “Cotton” stated on the underwear labels, imply that the product has been made with cotton and synthetic (eg polyester) fabrics.
    You may use boxer-briefs, made with 100% Combed Cotton fabric.

28. Melissa says:

Seriously. Only backwards people air dry absolutely everything. No, I don’t think so. I’m not going to be exposing my underwear to bugs, and wind, dirt, and all the rest by putting them outside to dry. And you shouldn’t either unless you have no other choice.

• Robert says:

Lmao, it didn’t specifically say that you should hang dry outdoors…. we suspended a hanging unit that raises and lowers with the help of pulleys in our laundry room and the everything stays just as fresh as using a dryer unit.

29. David says:

I’m a stocky guy, and I have alot of friction in the crotch portion of my underwear. I recently bought some new underwear and after a few wears they are already pilling. Any suggestions on the best way to combat this or type of underwear to buy?

30. Don says:

Looking for underwear that can make your stomach flat,something that has a front panel or the entire underwear that will help with a little extra on the stomach area…….most have some some spandex but are there any that have a higher percentage for this purpose.

31. Spence says:

You seem to be the NET expert on drawers. My wife and I are trying to have a child. The Dr. Says I need to wear boxers, but I hate them. Can you recommend a fabric that will “keep the boys cool” and still be supportive? Normally I’m a briefs Nylon blend or cotton guy.

32. D Hanson says:

I’m sorry, but I don’t see how warm water will clean the dirtiest underwear….I want my underwear sanitized….I don’t want e coli and other bacteria still in my underwear when I am thru.. I would never dry them outside or inside either…they just don’t feel as soft, etc. I’m also not going to hand wash every single pair!! Don’t have the time….any help??!

• Anoon says:

I’ve usually heard (and seen in practice) that cotton underwear can be washed on 60°C without a problem. Our family usually washes them on 40°C due to today’s strength of laundry detergent, and I think it’s fine. Washes everything out.

33. Anoon says:

I find it really interesting how people complain here about dirt and bugs and lack of softness when clothes are left to air dry, possibly outside. I think stating people who air dry everything are backwards is rather rude. I know plenty of people who do that without any kind of issues. It saves energy, and it’s not like they’re drying stuff on the floor.
    Besides, I’m not entirely sure why one would need fabric softener for stuff like socks and underwear. Personally, I prefer the harder, more compact feeling to the clothes when they’re freshly washed – esp. with towels, sheets and jeans, but underwear, too. It’s a matter of preference, I guess.

Bottom line is, one can usually wash clothes on more than the instructions say – especially cotton underwear should probably be washed on warm to hot temperatures to get rid of bacteria. As for drying, I don’t really see a problem of air drying anything. One should be careful about inside air drying if the room the clothes are in gets too humid, and about direct sunlight (esp. with dark clothes) when air drying outside. I mostly see no need for machine drying clothes unless you need them right away. It wears down the fabric, spends energy plus doesn’t allow for that fresh feeling and smell of fabric.

34. Kunal says:

I want to know about the use of elastic in underwear. How can I know whether my underwear contains elastic or not? And I don’t want to wear it anymore. So can you please suggest me some brands which make the underwear without elastic.?

35. George says:

I have not heard of Supplex material before til I got CSX’s Trunks that has 92% Supplex and 8% Lycra. Can someone tell me what it is made of?

36. Witt says:

Hi, I developed a rash around the waist band area. My doctor diagnosed it as “polyester intolerance” and recommended that I get some 100 percent cotton briefs without the elastic waist band. Do you have any suggestions ? For now I am rolling the waistband down away from my waist, not very comfortable. The salve he recommended took care of the rash, by the way.
    Cheers,
    Witt

37. Rich says:

Try bigger underwear. I tried larger sizes of underwear and socks. They still fit perfectly. They’re just not as tight and has cut way down on the itching.

38. Brian says:

I want some cotton boxer briefs. I’ve been wearing cotton boxer briefs for decades and I’m comfortable with them and I like them. I recently needed new underwear so I bought some Hanes boxer briefs. I got them home only to find that they feel like pantyhose. I didn’t want nylon underwear.

So I bought “Free Range Cotton Short Boxer Briefs” from Duluth Trading Company. The website says they are 94% cotton. They too feel a lot like pantyhose. WTF. When did every underwear manufacturer decide to switch to synthetic fabrics? I just want cotton underwear.

Any ideas where to get some that actually feels like cotton?