Men’s Underwear Style and Trend Infographic

Back in November we asked our readers to divulge their top underwear preferences, ranging from color to rise to shopping habits.  According to 45,000 survey responses, the top choices in underwear styles are Briefs (27%), Boxer Briefs (22%), Jockstraps (17%) and Trunks (15%). 54% of the men surveyed also prefer low-rise underwear and 41% prefer mid-rise underwear.

Since data based on enthusiasts or early adopters may signify a future shift in underwear trends, our CEO Michael Kleinmann believes that “our customer is more representative of the fashion customer segment and what’s trending.”

“Color also plays a more dominant role in underwear fashion which has yet to be fully recognized by the mainstream,” said Kleinmann. According to the survey, the most popular colors are: black (20%), blue (19%), red (16%). White was only 13% – signifying that fashion conscious customers have moved much more towards color.

Check out the complete infographic below. The trends presented here give us a preliminary look at the type of subscriptions that will be the most populated in our new Curated Underwear Club, currently being fund through Kickstarter. Backers can automatically join the club by donating more than $30.

If you really love underwear, check out The Underwear Expert Kickstarter which expires January 8, 2015 at 7:30pm EST.

underwear-trends-infographic

What do you think of our infographic? What data surprised you? Let us know, and don’t forget to check out The Underwear Expert Kickstarter.

Special thanks to Illustrator: Kai Karenin (IG: @kaikarenin)

sitebanner2w

13 thoughts on “Men’s Underwear Style and Trend Infographic

1. Bill Younger says:

I really liked how you presented this info. Not surprised that coloured, low rise briefs are in the majority. I found it interesting that about 1/3 of men shop on-line for their underwear.

2. rowan brown says:

Why is WHITE underwear OUT? I still see lots of it advertised.

What percentage of underwear is purchased directly at a clothing specialty (underwear) store where you can try it on and see what fits?

3. Ben says:

27% wearing briefs and 17% wearing jocks is in my opinion not representative of the general population. Most men wear boxer briefs or trunks in the changing rooms.

4. Ron says:

I have to agree with Ben. I suspect that the readership of this site skews towards gay, fashion-aware, and upmarket. There are a whole lot of men out there whose wives go to Target and pick up the first multipack of their husband’s preferred style. I’d be willing to bet that for Hanes and Fruit of the Loom, white briefs and boxer shorts are an absolute majority of their sales.

• MIke Morell says:

YEP. I think the results are skewed too. The average guys in US shop value, more than upscale brands. 4 pair of CK briefs are $40. 4 pair of Hanes or fruit of looms $6.95. How many straight really flaunt their underwear other than at home?

5. Kevin says:

I am a 47 year old man that does his own shopping for my underwear, and mainly shop for them online. And I as well prefer low rise colored briefs, so I think more guys then want to admit they as well prefer low rise briefs.

6. ABC says:

This isn’t accurate in terms of the general population. Jocks at 17%?

Overall, briefs are first, then boxer briefs, then boxers, then trunks, then thongs. Briefs and bikinis were always the most popular before 1990 or so. Almost nobody wore anything else. Men’s underwear basically looked like women’s underwear. Boxers were for old men only. Then they became popular among all age groups and now it’s trending back to briefs.