No products in the cart.
Using self tanning products is a great way to get a sun-kissed summer glow even after the conclusion of the summer months. Everyone looks better with a touch of color as it can make your muscles look more defined and bring you “to life.” It’s the perfect way to make sure you look smoldering hot in your underwear, too! Before you slather on your self tanning product of choice make sure you know the basics of how to avoid looking streaky and orange. These do’s and don’ts might seem basic but to a first time user and even for the pros, they make all the difference when it comes to self tanning.
1. DO Exfoliate: Before you slather on your sunless bronzer take a shower and exfoliate your skin gently using a moisturizing exfoliating body wash, or a loofah. Make sure you get hard to tan areas like your knees and elbows and avoid using a regular bar of soap as this can turn tanning products orange.
2. DO Wear Dark Clothing: After you’ve waited the appropriate amount of time for your tanning product to dry make sure you put on a dark pair or underwear and dark clothes as well. Even if your product is completely dry there’s still the risk that it could rub off onto you clothes and underwear, so wear only dark clothes to ensure you don’t ruin a pair of your favorite briefs.
3. DO Wait To Shower: Every product is different but there is usually a time frame ranging from 4-8 hours in which you’re instructed to avoid water. This means no showering or sweating. If you do either of these things too soon you’ll either wash away your tan completely or it will end up streaky.
4. DON’T Forget Your Hands: After you’ve applied sunless tanner it’s important that you wash your hands throughly a few times with soap and water. There’s nothing more obvious than a pair of hands that are streaked and a shade of deep orange to give away your self tanning secret.
5. DON’T Apply Over Lotion: After you’ve exfoliated in the shower skip slathering on body lotion or face moisturizer of any kind. Lotions act as a barrier to self tanning products and you won’t get the results you’re looking for. However, after your first post self tan shower, you can and should use moisturizing lotions so that your “tan” lasts longer.
6. DON’T Use Chemicals: If you’re going to use moisturizing lotions to extend the life of your tan, try to find all natural products that are free of chemicals. Chemicals work to strip away your tan, fading it quickly.
Have you ever used self tanner? Did you end up a bronzed god or a streaky, orange mess? Let us know in the comments below!
Photo Credit: Tumblr