Rumors have long swirled about mormon underwear and have recently been re-ignited since Mitt Romney, himself a Mormon, entered the national spotlight. Articles abound that raise questions about the garment and speculate on whether or not it’s magical, mystical, or what not. Well, friends, we hate to break it to you but it’s really not any more mysterious as say, a letterman jacket, WWJD? bracelet or Yarmulke. It’s just a piece of clothing worn as a symbolic gesture of the promises that they have made to God. Plain and simple. It’s not magical. It’s not mysterious. And it’s most certainly not worth the loads of media attention it receives. It’s an article of clothing that represents something. See, not interesting.
1. Children in the church don’t wear garments.
2. The garment is always worn under other clothing, close to the skin.
3. Mormon underwear is not sold in retail stores. It is purchased at church-owned stores.
4. When members receive their first garment, they are given individual instruction on what it stands for and how to care for it.
5. Mormon underwear is worn day and night by adult members of the religion as constant reminder of the promises they have made to God.
6. Members receive their first garment in a special ceremony called the temple endowment, a spiritual rite that generally coincides with leaving to serve a mission or getting married.
7. According to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the underwear is ”an outward expression of an inward commitment.”
8. The garment symbolizes purity and helps assure modesty.
9. Mormon underwear bears multiple, simple marks that represent the gospel principles of obedience, truth, life, and discipleship in Christ.
10. Mormons cannot make their own garments.
Now, go forth with your newly acquired uninteresting facts about Mormon underwear and dispel the mystery and myths that are out there. We don’t guarantee you’ll be the life of the party with these facts, however, so unless you’re trying to get out of a bad date, or put someone to sleep, perhaps keep them to yourself.